Camden man sentenced to life in death of girlfriend, son

A Camden man accused of murdering his girlfriend and child pleaded guilty Monday in a courtroom in Ouachita district.

Jory Worthen pleaded guilty to two counts of first degree murder Monday morning. Worthen has been charged with the murders of Alyssa Cannon and her son, Braydon Ponder after the two were found dead at Cannon’s home on June 25, 2019.

“Judge Robin Carroll accepted the pleas and sentenced Worthen to life in Arkansas Corrections on each count,” Ouachita County District Attorney Jeff Rogers said.

Rodgers added, “I think it was a good result for the family; you can’t reverse the homicides, but at least the family can be relieved that – unless a governor commutes the sentence – Mr. Worthen will remain in jail for his entire natural life.

Rogers noted that handwriting samples from a note found in the house were compared to Worthen’s handwriting samples by the FBI and declared a match.

A warrant filed by the Camden Police Department in June 2019 indicates that the note in the house reads: “I’m sorry. I should have stopped drinking, and Alyssa was trying to fire me because of Sydney. I lost it and ended it with immediate regret. I must die and be with them. I can’t stay here. My dad can have all of my things if he wants. I should have had help a long time ago. If I can’t have them and be with them, no one can. I wish I could go back.

At the time of the murders, Cannon had a restraining order against Worthen, but he was still living with her, according to police records.

Worthen reportedly fled the state in Cannon’s vehicle after the murders; he was later found abandoned in a parking lot in Seattle, Washington. The West Arkansas District United States Marshals Task Force was involved in the investigation to assist in the arrest since Worthen had crossed state lines and was considered armed and dangerous.

Investigative efforts by all agencies involved took them to a hotel in Burbank, Calif., On October 5, 2020. After being identified, according to a press release from the US Marshals, Worthen fled from the forces of the United States. order, but was found and taken into custody after a short foot chase.

Later that month, Worthen returned to Camden into the custody of the Camden Police Department, who had dispatched officers to retrieve him in California. Worthen appeared before a judge and was denied bail.

As of Monday afternoon, Worthen was still being held in Ouachita County Jail.