CASS COUNTY, Michigan (WNDU) – Two people died last Friday in the parking lot of a Cass County hotel, a short walk from security.
Cass County Sheriff Richard Behnke said the couple went to visit friends at the Castle Inn and Suites in Pokagon Township where their car got stuck in the snow in the parking lot.
The friends apparently tried to help free the car but were unsuccessful.
“So the people from the apartments, that these two knew, went back to their apartments, but the two people in the vehicle decided to stay in the vehicle, leaving the engine running,” Sheriff Behnke said.
At 3:19 a.m. on Friday, firefighters received the call about an explosion and fire. When the fire was extinguished, two bodies were found inside.
“Both occupants were in the front seat. The driver and passenger seats when they were discovered, which leads us to believe that they may have been invaded by carbon monoxide, but that is only our belief or our speculations at the moment, ”he said. said the sheriff. “And we think the tailpipe was plugged with snow, snow accumulated causing carbon monoxide to return to the vehicle, which actually set the vehicle on fire.”
The names of the victims are not yet released until their identities are confirmed by dental records.
The sheriff says the incident is a reminder to carry a shovel that can be used to clear snow around the exhaust pipe if one gets stuck.
Copyright 2022 WNDU. All rights reserved.